Aaron Stein comes back on the show to discuss Turkey's upcoming election, their fight against ISIS, and relations with Saudi Arabia. Topics we covered include:
- An overview of the key political parties and politicians in Turkey
- Constitutional changes Erdogan and the AKP are pursuing
- Potential backlash AKP could face for pushing for a presidential system
- Kurdish politicians' decision to run as a political party, as opposed to running as individual independent candidates
- The evolution of how Turkey views the ISIS threat
- Turkey's strategy to fight ISIS in Syria
- Turkey's lack of influence in Iraq, and how that effects their view of ISIS
- The rapprochement between Turkey and Saudi Arabia
- Turkey’s Role in a Shifting Syria by Aaron for the Atlantic Council's MENASource blog
- Aaron's podcasts: Turkey Wonk & Arms Control Wonk
- Aaron Stein (@aaronstein1) on Twitter
- Karl Morand (@KarlMorand) on Twitter
Thanks to patrons Andrew and David de Bruijn. You can support the podcast by making a small donation on Patreon!
Check out the podcast's Facebook page.
Please rate and review the show in iTunes.